There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why I'm going Vegetarian, Again.


Lately I've been feeling under the weather. Maybe it's stress finally catching up with me. I burned the candle at both ends for months on end in preparation for graduation, writing 17 page papers in 2 days with no sleep to boot. Needless to say, now I'm done, physically, mentally, emotionally. There are 66 days until I move down to Evergreen and I am toast. I feel like passing out every time I stand up, finding comfort only in laying in the grass in the shade. This feeling has got me thinking, once again, about the benefits I discovered last time I ditched meat.

Ah, the good old days, summer romance, lack of knowledge about proper vegetarian nutrition. Those days are two summers past now. What do I remember about being vegetarian? I felt damned good. I didn't get sick as often, I had more energy, my skin was better, my metabolism sped up, I was downright healthier. Until, (dun dun dun), anaemic. Pro-tip: engaging in a rigorous training program for Cross-country running and being an uninformed vegetarian do not mix whatsoever. The result for a teenage girl is a blood-iron level so low that you become prone to fainting. Since then however, I've done a bit of research.

So here I am, feeling quite frankly awful. I have 66 days to get ready for Cross-country at Evergreen. The more I read, the more I realise that going vegetarian again is the best thing for me, and my personal experience adds to that conclusion. Now I know how and why to give up bacon. The benefits outweigh the costs, and quite frankly, I didn't miss it last time, seeing as I don't particularly care for meat anyway, and I felt fantastic. Thus. Here is my declaration. I am going Vegetarian. Today.

Plus I get to eat a delicious menagerie of fruit and veggies, which I certainly haven't been getting enough of lately. So, raw food detox anyone? You bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment