Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why I'm going Vegetarian, Again.


Lately I've been feeling under the weather. Maybe it's stress finally catching up with me. I burned the candle at both ends for months on end in preparation for graduation, writing 17 page papers in 2 days with no sleep to boot. Needless to say, now I'm done, physically, mentally, emotionally. There are 66 days until I move down to Evergreen and I am toast. I feel like passing out every time I stand up, finding comfort only in laying in the grass in the shade. This feeling has got me thinking, once again, about the benefits I discovered last time I ditched meat.

Ah, the good old days, summer romance, lack of knowledge about proper vegetarian nutrition. Those days are two summers past now. What do I remember about being vegetarian? I felt damned good. I didn't get sick as often, I had more energy, my skin was better, my metabolism sped up, I was downright healthier. Until, (dun dun dun), anaemic. Pro-tip: engaging in a rigorous training program for Cross-country running and being an uninformed vegetarian do not mix whatsoever. The result for a teenage girl is a blood-iron level so low that you become prone to fainting. Since then however, I've done a bit of research.

So here I am, feeling quite frankly awful. I have 66 days to get ready for Cross-country at Evergreen. The more I read, the more I realise that going vegetarian again is the best thing for me, and my personal experience adds to that conclusion. Now I know how and why to give up bacon. The benefits outweigh the costs, and quite frankly, I didn't miss it last time, seeing as I don't particularly care for meat anyway, and I felt fantastic. Thus. Here is my declaration. I am going Vegetarian. Today.

Plus I get to eat a delicious menagerie of fruit and veggies, which I certainly haven't been getting enough of lately. So, raw food detox anyone? You bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment